Saturday, January 31, 2009

Interpersonal Conflict

Three boys, A, B and C have been best of friends since secondary school. Even during their army days, they continued to keep in touch. Later on, they went to the same university, where B applied for a hostel room. Often, they would head to B’s hostel room after lessons to do their homework together, which was usually followed by supper, where they would chat over prata and teh tarik till late at night.

Once, during another friend’s party, A got to know a girl, D whom he was very interested in. Over a period of 6 months, A managed to ask D out a few times. However, A still had not worked up the courage to confess his feelings for her.

All this while, A has been confiding his relationship woes to B and C. While his dates with D have been fine, he felt that it was not yet time for them to proceed beyond friends.

One day, A received a call from B, informing him that B and D have just got into a relationship.

If you were A, how would you feel and what would you do?

If you were C, the mutual friend of A and B, what would you do when you hear the news?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicholas,

    Pretty sticky situation i must say..Actually, I have been in C's situation before.....After hearing the news, i was indeed very upset with as i felt that he betrayed the trust of A. If he had told us earlier that he had feelings for D earlier, at least A would have been prepared if D had ended up with B. However, i felt that D was partly to be blamed. If she had liked B, she should have voiced it to A and should not have let him on. I told B that i was utterly disappointed in him as he was selfish to "potong jalan" into his own best friend's love life. Though B apologised to A, A refused to give in as he was hurt that his best friend, whom he had so much trust in; backstabbed him. A started avoiding B and D. Though I tried to arrange gatherings for them to meet, only one will turn up at any time. However, after a year, A finally gave in and accepted B's apology.

    I guess it will certainly take time for A to get over what B has done. Instead of forcing A and B to reunite, one should just let time do the healing.

    Cheers,
    Rathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicholas,

    I've decided to respond to your post.

    If I was A, I would definitely be angry and I would feel very betrayed. I would look B up for a talk and ask him why he did not tell me about his liking for D earlier when I confided in him. Even though I might be clouded by my emotions, I would still want an explanation from B, and understand the story from his point of view.

    If I was C, I would speak separately to both A and B. I would first seek B to listen to his side of the story before jumping to any conclusions. If his story is reasonable, I would have a good talk with B before asking him to meet A to clear things up. If B does not have any reasons for doing what he did, then I would let B know that I feel that what he has done is inappropriate, and he should explain his story to A, but he should approach A cordially and be prepared that A might not be willing to listen to his explanation.

    Regards,
    Shu Ting

    Regards,
    Shu Ting

    ReplyDelete