Sunday, January 25, 2009

Why develop communication skills

What’s the big fuss about having effective communications skills? I talk, and you should get the point right?

“Huh? I thought the outing was cancelled? Oh so we’re meeting at 4pm ah? Wah opps, 3.30pm already…er… ok see you all there, I’ll be late though.”

“What?! The deadline is today?!!”

Sounds familiar? In fact, many of my personal experiences tell me that miscommunication is one of the most frequent reasons why we, or rather I, mess up certain things in life. According to The Science of Effective Communication in the Workplace, we must be able to ‘organise and express (our) ideas in writing and speaking’.

In a nutshell, there are many facets to communication. At the basic level, there is a message, an audience to address, and a chosen channel for communication.

Notice the informal way of writing in this blog? I assumed that blog is an informal channel for communication, just like YouTube where people post all kinds of funny and interesting videos such as happy bashing at a friend’s birthday. So, being informal is fine.

On the other hand, it seems possible for formality to exist in an informal channel too. President Obama uses YouTube for his weekly address! Given that the viewer count on his videos is in the millions, he is certainly getting his message across. Since I’m being graded for this blog, perhaps I should adopt a more formal approach?

So which approach would be more appropriate? Well, that’s why I’m taking this course.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nicholas,

    you've done a very interesting write up for this post! Unlike the usual way of just blabbering about why communication skills are important, you've somewhat done a personification of what you're actually trying to imply, which is good! So well done on that!

    Regards, Shu Ting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicholas,

    first, no need to apologize. It is nothing. The beginning of this post is very attractive and leads people to keep on reading. I can sense that you like doing things in unusual ways. But, you did not explain why effective communication is important for you.

    Regards,
    Chen Zhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicholas,
    thanks for the feedback you posted on my blog. I have noted the points and will incorporate them into the next post. Great blog entry by the way, the different style of presenting your idea has indeed caught my attention. Keep up the good work!

    Regards
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete