Friday, April 10, 2009

Final reflection

Well, it’s been a fun learning experience this past semester and I really enjoyed this module. What I appreciated the most was that for the group project, unlike most other modules, this module strongly emphasized on communication between the group members rather than simply focusing on the work produced. This is very evident in the substantial amount of class time dedicated to group discussion.

Our first post was about why we felt that it was important to develop effective communication skills, where I had blogged about one of the many facets of communication – the level of formality to be used. As it turned out, semi-formal is best for this blog. Adjusting the formality of the message to suit the occasion was one of the lessons I picked up along the course.

Reflecting back, I would say my understanding of the value of effective communication has not changed since then. The many projects and CCA activities which I had been involved in throughout my 4 years in NUS have certainly underscored the importance of conveying messages clearly and succinctly. However, this course has been very useful in providing very structured ways of doing so, for example the 7Cs in writing serve as a very good method to ensure that we can effectively get our written message across to others.

Overall, I felt that my main takeaway from this course was the structured methods of communicating effectively. In the past I had always relied on my “gut feeling” on how to craft messages, but now, I feel that I am much more equipped to do so more effectively.

Great module.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicholas,

    A sincere post that is nicely written.

    Well, though I agree with you that there is more focus on communication between the group members, I still feel that there is still a great emphasis on the work produced. In fact, as we all knew, there were a lot of pieces of work to be produced. Probably this is where the module could be improved on.

    Similar to you, my understanding of communication has not changed since the beginning of the course. As you have mentioned, our understanding has already been moulded over the years. However, this course sure has taught us to create our messages better.

    As with most skills, practise makes perfect. So we still have to continue practising what we have learnt from this course. Keep writing, keep communicating. I do hope that you’ll takeaway this message as well.

    Regards,
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicholas, I agree with glenn that you wrote this much sincerity.

    I also agree that instead of using my gut feeling to write or put something across, I am now more confident with the guidelines we were taught.

    My understanding of communication, however, has changed slightly. That is, I now understand how to communicate more effectively. I also know better the importance of being able to communicate well.

    For me, I felt that the main takeaway from the course was the things we learned from completing the project. I took with me skills of how to work in a team, and also responsibility towards my group members. A lot of our course hours are spent on this project, and I believe this has properly equipped us with the skills necessary for team work in our future careers.

    In the meantime, I hope you have enjoyed this course as much as I have and all the best when you start work this june! =)

    regards,
    Shu Ting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicholas,

    Your comment on the level of formality as well as how we should structure our written messages is indeed true. Shifting our style to suit the audiences, in order to get the optimum results.

    I also agree that this course did provide us with a working structure of how we should craft our responses to various situations.

    Hopefully we can all remember and apply these methods when the right time comes, as learning all these would have been useless if we do not apply them.

    Cheers, Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicholas,

    Nice write-up! You hold a totally different point of view on the value of survey report from mine. Although I agree with you that this survey report enables ue to discuss and hence train us to communicate effectively, I still feel that the project take up too much time. The content of it may more suitable for students who are from Faculty of Arts and Social Science. I do not have interest in doing this project. However, the oral presentation of this project is very useful.

    I appreciate your comments on my posts. The mistakes and suggestions that you pointed out help me a lot in English writting.

    Regards,
    Chen Zhi

    ReplyDelete