Sunday, March 29, 2009

Interview skills

Since we are currently on the topic of job search in class, I thought it would be appropriate for me to share some of the interview tips I picked up in a when I attended a recent Interview Workshop by the NUS Career Centre.

We all know that must we must prepare for an interview such as reading up on the company’s business and background. But did you know that you do not have to go for an interview empty handed? Yes, there are some materials that you could bring into your interview that may come in useful.

The first item would be a portfolio file. This is where you keep your certificates and their photocopies, as well as several copies of your resume. The next item would be a pad of foolscap paper without its cover. On the foolscap paper, write down your skills which are relevant to the job. Beside these skills, list some examples of how you have demonstrated these skills in your past experience. The idea here is for you to think through all your experiences and list them down at your own time, without pressure. In fact, this is also useful because you are preparing answers for questions which they will probably ask.

During your interview, open up the file and place it in front of you. Your resume should be on the left side and the foolscap on the right. The resume is for your easy reference in case you receive any questions about what you wrote inside. On the right side of the file, would be your foolscap pad with your “cheat sheet” on top. Of course, you don’t want to be seen with your face glued to these, but these serve as a very useful backup just in case we get so nervous (which we all do) during the interview that we cannot think properly.

Finally, just relax and keep calm. And ace the interview!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicholas!

    Very nice of you to share such useful interview tips with us! =) Now I know I have been attending interviews in a not so appropriate manner. Firstly, I do not take my resume and portfolio file out when I attend the interview. I keep them in my bag. Your post made me realize how flustered I would look if I had to fumble for these items when asked for it during the interview.

    But the good thing is, I have not attended many interviews since I am not looking for a permanent job yet. So at least I know better how to prepare myself now instead of having to learn through failed interviews. I never knew that we could bring in that "cheatsheet" though! Isn't it inappropriate since interviewers want to see your natural reaction to his questions?

    Anyway, this is still a very insightful and informative post!

    Cheers,
    Shu Ting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicholas!

    Thanks so much for your sharing! It is just what I need now, because I am looking for a internship opportunity. Your experience will be valuable to me.

    I attended a real internview for internship recently. I still remeber how neverous I was during that interview. The language I was using was totally disordered and some very important points were forgotten to address. If there are my resume and a "script" in front of me, I would have expressed myself better and performed well.

    Although this was recommended by the NUS career centre, I am still not sure whether it is suitable to read these files during an interview. An interviewer might deem an interviewee as not preparing for this interview or having immature mental capacity, as the interviewee needs files to help him or her speak. However, different HRs may have different views on this. It is very hard to make a conclusion on this tip.

    In all, would like to share more about interview with us?

    Regards,
    Chen Zhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicholas,

    Perhaps I should have read your blog entry before our mock interviews earlier this week. I would have done better in the interviews had I done so. :)

    I agree with your point that it is necessary to think through our experiences in a no-pressure environment. In fact, besides thinking through our experiences, we should also consider our goals in life, our motivation for working for that company, and what skills we can bring to the company.

    These may seem like trivial and cliched questions to think about. However, I think that each person needs to ask himself/herself these questions, if only to gain a better understanding of themselves. It would be even better if one could tie together all those answers into a single coherent picture, which would then be summarized in your Objective statement in the resume. A good understanding of one's own character and personality will allow you to answer questions which you did not specifically prepare for.

    Thanks for bringing up this topic. It is certainly a topic which many in this course will find highly relevant as they set out on their job search.


    Regards,
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete